Sunday, March 3, 2013

And now a word from our Director . . .

So why Reservoir Dogs?



I have always loved words. Quentin Tarantino is one of modern American cinema’s greatest wordsmiths. I love the movie, but more than the cinematic reality of the thing it is it's bones that compel me. As iconic as the performances of Keitel, Roth, Buscemi et al have become, strip it all away and you have one hell of a script. In many ways Dogs is a perfect fit for theater, it needs quite a bit of adapting that is true, but much of the action happens in the wings, and what we are left with are these very human characters and the  connections and consequences of their (sometimes very inhumane) actions.  It's a very intimate story.



Why two productions?



When originally TAO decided to do Reservoir Dogs it was met with a huge wave of excitement, but at the same time, there was a current of disappointment. No roles for women.  As a female director I am often called on the carpet for my choices of scripts. I was a bookish child, even as a young girl I was more drawn to Hugo and Dumas than Jane Austin. I can not explain it, it's just how it is.  My difficulty is that not many plays written for women fit into my personal esthetic. I was having a conversation about that exact thing when it hit me, why not do it with women? That would be very interesting.

Once the possibility entered my mind I could not shake the excitement at the prospect, the opportunity for women to play characters such as these and play them straight, no kitsch, no clowning, no apologies, is a rare one. And now here we are, in the midst of rehearsals and it’s the best of both worlds.

~pug Bujeaud

No comments:

Post a Comment